Ir al contenido principal

Giving Opinions

Hello, everyone! This time, you will have the chance to give your opinion on any particular subject you deem worth writing about. Watch out! Do not to write a never-ending manifesto. Try to share your view on any topical issue in no less than 240 words

Topical issues:
  • Trump's wall
  • migrant caravan
  • Far-right in South-America
  • Venezuela's political collapse
  • Abortion
  • Feminist movement
  • Public transport
  • Catrillanca's case
  • surveillance technology
  • The end of cash
  • too much plastic



You should:

  • provide context for your argument.
  • give examples.
  • describe cases.
  • give facts.
  • cite sources.

or

  • provide any other way to sustain your argument. Check out: https://www.oxford-royale.co.uk/articles/construct-compelling-argument.html

Remember to leave a comment on three of your classmates' posts and another one on mine as well.


People’s Access to their Free Will



No doubt abortion is one of the most controversial issues to discuss in any democratic country. It has always been a matter of great concern for at least two markedly political groups. On the one hand, the pro-life people who consider abortion a human rights violation -usually addressed as a “war against the child”; and, on the other, the pro-choice people who claim that restricted access to abortion also, in turn, violates women’s human rights. 

Definitely, this issue can be debated following multiple trains of thought. Though this topic deserves further analysis in terms of its ideological, philosophical and scientific bases, I do believe that political action must exercised. Chile was, until this very year, one of the few countries where abortion was thoroughly illegal. There is then so much for us to do about it, as lack of deep understanding of this public health issue holds us up to guarantee people's well-being. To me, as a Chilean liberal and advocate of a secular state, this is unacceptable. 

I do not believe in God. I believe that knowledge and moral principles are culturally embedded, so they depend on what people consider acceptable in society by mutual agreement. I also believe that any secular and democratic state must guarantee people’s liberties, so if I don’t share any religious principles, why should I be forced to follow something that I don’t believe in? 

I don’t personally support postmodernist principles or ethical relativism (see Lipovetsky, 1983). Setting the parameter debate over whether you believe in God or not appears to be inadequate or not very sophisticated. 

Because of the government’s decision to continuously dodge the implementation of abortion in Chile, there is  a need to keep the debate going on what a secular and democratic state should be to guarantee people’s access to their free will.

Comentarios

  1. The situation of abortion in Chile and the continent is unacceptable, ONU Women has made comments to Chile for the constant violation of human rights of girls, adolescents and women in our country. I am very touched by the issue because I had an abortion at the age of 21 and almost died of an infection, surviving an abortion is a privilege of class in Chile. Today I am a mother by choice is that I believe more than ever that in our country should have a free abortion law!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I think that abortion in Chile is a situation that is realized in spite of be illegal! Is very important that We society was educate about this issue, because according figures of ONU the situation of abortion in the world were increase years after years!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. it's a very urgent topic in our country and Latin America. I think that 3 causals abortion law in Chile is not enough.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Besides the religion view there is a lot of ideas around internet and people in general about abortion which are pretty funny and disgusting too like the think that with a legalization it will generate some kind of debauchery and women will go for an intervention everyweek. Doesn't seems to be much common sense when this is the topic.

    ResponderEliminar
  5. i agree with your opinions, i think that the state must provide opportunity to decide to the people, don't impose a religious view about the things like a huntement of witch

    ResponderEliminar
  6. Like my colleagues, I agree with their opinion, but, at least here in Chile, I find it difficult for abortion in any case to be applied soon.

    ResponderEliminar
  7. I consider that among all the struggles that can be fought in this area, one of the main tasks as professionals of the social sciences, is the creation of instances of participation for the people in our communes and in our neighborhoods. I think we should be creative so that people from different communities can reflect and discuss these debates ....

    ResponderEliminar
  8. I know a lot of womens that haved to make an abortion by themselves taking a lot of pills or others many risky ways. I think that the abortion discuss is an urgent matter to talk like society. We cannot continue invisibilizating the issue, or being conform with the actual state of abortion in Chile

    ResponderEliminar
  9. Since the UN have already sent statements that Chile should approve free abortion, I think it is not a subject for discussion because, in developed countries has already been approved and has not generated any social problem of relevance. To think that free abortion will allow demoralizing society to meet is an inconsistent moral-religious excuse. Free abortion would reduce vital risks, in addition to psychosocial risks. two weeks ago I learned of the case of a young woman who was prevented from having an abortion due to legal and moral bureaucratic issues and ended up aborting naturally in her home and after that I am left with a shock emotional, now they have her in court for seeing a fetus killed and the Young did not have support from anyone other than feminist networks. A 20-year-old girl with a strong vital and psychological trauma who must now live a frivolous trial. If abortion were free and legal, all these situations would be avoided.

    ResponderEliminar

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares de este blog

My future Job

Today's post will be about your career expectations. Try to answer these questions as you plan your writing: What kind of job would you like to have? How do you imagine it?  Outddoors/indoors? What about the salary? What major are you studying/are you thinking of taking? Add any other related ideas. As always, include comments on three of your classmates' posts plus a comment on mine too. Try not to write less than 210 words. Teaching while doing Uber I'm considering the possibility of furthering my studies in linguistics. Surely I must have said something about this before. Though I could continue working as I am doing it now, taking into account that I am already in a very good position, there is still/always a need to  have a much deeper understanding of how and why something works in my professional field. That is to say, you never end up completely satisfied with what you do. You always find a 'but' in the way. Do not misread me. This is n

What's your favourite TV show/movie?

As we previously agreed in class, this time we will be writing about our favourite TV show(s)/ movie(s). Before you write, try to think about the following: why you like that TV show / movie (personal review) What it is about ( storyline) credits (cast/director/photography) favourite episode/scene favourite actor's line any detail you deem worth sharing. Leave comments on three of your classmates' blog posts and one on mine too. A quality post should have no less than 300 words.  The beauty of (paying attention to) simple things About two years ago, I was really depressed. I had to get over a relationship breakup, deal with shitty jobs, and sort out my MA thesis report. Ergo, I was going nowhere. I felt like a lost-and-found office deep inside -finding comfort in my friends was not really an option for me, as I was very ashamed of not being capable of solving my own problems (vicious circle), so I didn´t want to talk to anyone about my misery. The only thing

Are You Into Social Media?

Yep, today we have a sort of universal theme that anyone can relate to in some way. Don't tell me that you have no idea about what social media/networks are. The idea is you write about: your favourite social media platform(s)/site(s). how often you check your social media/why? your opinion about them. statistics you deem worth mentioning. any interesting ideas you consider worth sharing with your classmates and the world. Remember to leave comments on three of your classmates' blogs and mine too, please. And a quality composition should be in no less than 180 words this time. Make the world great (for us) time and again I'm gonna be brutally honest with you. I'm not the sort of person who desperately checks his latest Facebook notifications, replies Whatsapp messages in the loo, gives his opinions on the most important up-to-date events and matters on Twitter, or uploads private pictures on Instagram. I just simply don't see why I shoul